My favorite Christmas morning breakfast. You can put this together the night before, then pop it in the oven Christmas morning. It bakes while the kids open their presents.
- 1 loaf(s) (Italian) bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cup(s) (about 1 lb.) ham, fully cooked boneless, cubed
- 12 ounce(s) (cubed) Monterey Jack or Muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cup(s) milk
- 1/4 cup(s) (prepared) mustard
- Coat a 9" by 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss together bread cubes, ham and cheese. Spread mixture in baking dish.
- In skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until softened; set aside to cool. In bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and mustard. Stir in cooled onions. Pour mixture over bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove baking dish from refrigerator and let sit on counter for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Bake puff, uncovered, for 55 to 70 minutes, until knife inserted near the center comes out clean.